We enjoyed a sensational start to the semester with the premiere performance of Mary Poppins at Groves last night. It was an honour to be entertained by a cast and crew committed to a spirit of excellence in performance and support for each other. The musical journey has helped so many students gain confidence, develop their God given talents, and belong. The fact that we have opportunity to share in the fruits of their work is a bonus blessing.
2019 Year 11 students and families have been notified of the need to attend Tuesday’s senior subject selection evening (that is, our current Year 10 students). It is critical that students and families entering Year 11 in 2019 understand how the new system works so that they may make wise plans. I mention it here for our entire learning community for a couple of reasons:
- 2019 is the start of the new Queensland Senior program. With new syllabuses across senior commencing with Year 11 in 2019, the way students undertake the study and assessment changes. At Groves our teachers have been active in preparing the current Year 10 students for the new assessment techniques.
- If you are aware of any friends, family or neighbours who are not yet part of our learning community who have young people starting Year 11 in 2019, please let them know that they are welcome to phone our community services team to arrange to attend the evening to find out more about the Groves Christian College Senior program.
(Please note the 2019 Year 10 senior subject selection evening will be held later in the year for our current Year 9 students.)
At Groves, every term is full of learning and extra-curriculum activities. Let me highlight some of these opportunities coming up in the next few weeks:
- Senior Biology Camp starts on Monday in northern NSW to enable our students to undertake their field work.
- Distance Education Workshops commence in the last week of July. It is exciting to see the science activities planned for these events.
- The Groves Community Fair. Saturday, August 4, 1pm to 6 pm. Please plan to be part of our biggest community day of the year.
Our vision to see young men and women with loving hearts and strong minds for God shine like stars as they pursue His purpose now and into eternity. Our July calendar verse is Psalm 37:4, ‘Take delight in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart.’ We believe it is true that those who seek God’s Kingdom through loving God and serving others experience life to the full.
Head of College