On Monday, March 26, the Year 8 students were involved in a fun, informative 60 minute lesson, delivered by trained Griffith University student mentors, introducing students to the ‘High Five’ principles of career development:
1. Change is constant – Recognise that the world around you is constantly changing. Be open to change and remain alert to new opportunities
2. Learning is ongoing – Strive for continuous personal development. Stay motivated by learning new skills and developing new talents
3. Focus on the Journey – Don’t focus on one destination only. Recognise that your career journey will be throughout your lifetime. Appreciate and value each experience along the way.
4. Know yourself, believe in yourself and follow the heart – Pursue your passion to find fulfilment. Discover ways to combine your interests with career opportunities.
5. Access your allies – Rely on the support of your family, friends, mentors, teachers, careers adviser and peers. Career success can be a team effort.
These Workshops were delivered in a clear, relevant format; using a combination of video clips, worksheets and class discussion. Students learned more about themselves and made connections between their learning, their accomplishments and their hopes for the future.