The News Blog highlights a sample of the multitude of activities that take place at Groves each week. Behind the scenes substantial work is carried out daily to not only assist in the smooth running of the College but in its continual improvement for the benefit of the students. 2017 has seen improvements in the following areas:
- Opening of a modern science and technology centre to affirm our commitment to STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics).
- Purchase of a bus with wheel chair capability to include everyone on the journey.
- Commencement of the Campus 2 extensions including specialist rooms.
- New Prep play areas are still to come as the builder finalises details.
- Auto-workshop established to facilitate automotive certificate course.
- Established scheduled painting program to refresh buildings regularly.
- Invested in long term health of turf on the Grahame Kerr Field to the benefit of students competing in sports.
Teaching and Learning Programs
- Introduction of the I Love Reading program into Year 1 based on the Code system of sounds. We are experiencing solid progress with the students in this program. This program is also being introduced into Prep.
- Scuba-diving and Automotive certificate courses added to the already wide mix of vocational opportunities available at Groves.
- Further enhancement to the online curriculum available for secondary day school students and P-12 Distance Education students.
- Design and testing of data tools that enable year, class, group and individual progress to be tracked at a detailed level to inform areas of need across year levels and in individuals.
- Increase in Distance Education Field Trips, Camps and Senior Study Days.
- Increase in specialist DE teachers with expertise in special needs.
- Secondary Musical Dinner Mission Trip Awareness Evening was a wonderful success.
- Introduction of drumline.
- Successful Intermediate Musical.
- Introduction of specialist Middle and Senior Choirs.
- Renewal of Foundation Phase Choir.
- Showcase days celebrating progress of students in the arts program.
- Cambodian Mission Trip.
- International Ambassadors program strengthened.
- Combined DE and Day Year 7 Canberra Trip great success.
- P-12 Combined special chapels increased to three this year each celebrating an aspect of God’s love for us through student performances.
Looking ahead to 2018
- Data profiles to highlight learning progress and need of individuals at an enhanced level of detail.
- Community Conversations will pop up at increased locations and events to better engage with parents when they are already on campus for events.
- Continued construction of natural play areas for younger students.
- Increased opportunities for DE students to access day school events.
- Improved Middle Phase Inquisify program access for DE students.
- Completion of Campus 2 new buildings.
It is with a grateful heart that we give thanks to God for His goodness to us. Psalm 100 provides the words to honour God.
Make a joyful shout to the Lord, all you lands!
Serve the Lord with gladness;
Come before His presence with singing.
Know that the Lord, He is God;
It is He who has made us, and not we ourselves;
We are His people and the sheep of His pasture.
Enter into His gates with thanksgiving,
And into His courts with praise.
Be thankful to Him, and bless His name.
For the Lord is good;
His mercy is everlasting,
And His truth endures to all generations.
Thank you for your ongoing support of the Groves Christian College mission. It is a delight to continually hear of your recommendations to others about our learning community. Please note that we are now enrolling for the final Year 7 and Prep classes for 2018. If you have any friends or family who were planning to enrol their children at Groves for 2018, please notify them of their need to act now to secure a placement.
Head of College